Property and construction businesses to stay open
Although there has been no official full announcement yet, it is understood that the housing and construction markets will remain open over the coming weeks.
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has tweeted to say that those involved in the property industry will be able to operate within coronavirus safety limits.
Mr Jenrick has so far confirmed ahead of the lockdown, which begins in England on Thursday:
*Renters and homeowners will still be able to move
*Removal firms and estate agents can operate
*Construction sites can and should continue
*Tradespeople will be able to enter homes
NAEA Propertymark chief executive, Mark Hayward, says: “We welcome the news that the housing market is to remain open throughout this second lockdown period.
“It is essential that all agents continue to play their part in reducing the spread of the virus through following all relevant guidance.”
Andy Mitchell co-chair, Construction Leadership Council, writes in a message to the construction industry: “The Prime Minister has explicitly said that construction and manufacturing should continue.
“The latest government guidance has reiterated this, and that workers in these industries should continue to travel to work and attend their workplace, including where this involves working in other people’s homes.
“We all understand the need to keep providing and maintaining the houses, hospitals, electricity, water and all the other vital infrastructure that people depend on, and we all understand the need to keep construction workers employed and keeping the economy going, for now and for the future recovery.”
He adds: “During the recent times of the pandemic we have demonstrated that a wide range of construction types can be done safely – for our workers and the general public around us, and as an industry we have a huge responsibility to do the very best that we can at this very difficult time.”